Outcome of internet announcement still ‘loading’

The weekly editorial for the 100 Mile Free Press

This week the provincial government announced that they would be bringing high-speed internet to Deka Lake, Clinton and Wells.

Minister of Citizens’ Services, Jinny Sims, said: “just like in the old days we looked at the importance of railroads to connect regions and communities, today the fibre highways are the new railroads of the 21st century.”

100 Mile Free Press readers may remember the recent story on a South Cariboo company supplying medals for the World Para Nordic Skiing Championships, highlighting just one of the ways the internet is crucial to South Cariboo businesses.

RELATED: South Cariboo company supplies World Championship medals

There’s absolutely no doubt that any steps that give residents and businesses better access to that market are absolutely welcome. However, there’s also something left to be desired here.

Just last year a similar announcement was made for 2,700 South Cariboo homes including in the Interlakes area. Both the upgrade for Deka Lake and last year’s upgrade were in combination with ABC Communications. When asked, the minister didn’t appear to be familiar with last year’s announcement nor was able to say what the status on that was, noting that that was under the previous government.

RELATED: Faster internet for the South Cariboo area

Sims also said that “How it’s going to be packaged is not really within the purview of the government. That really depends on the provider.”

This situation is a little hard to believe. Hundreds of thousands of dollars have been given to a private organization and now more money is being provided to that organization, despite the minister being seemingly unaware of how past partnerships have worked out nor with the government having a say in the final product.

If our provincial government shelled out money to purchase buses in collaboration with a bus company for a bus service through the South Cariboo, minimum service levels should be within the purview of government: i.e. if the company only offered stops through the South Cariboo twice a year, that would be unacceptable if they took government money specifically for the purpose of delivering bus service to the South Cariboo. If they delivered regular service but each ticket was $10,000 that would also be unacceptable.

Now in all fairness perhaps it’s simply the minister who’s poorly informed.

“The province works closely with the Northern Development Initiative Trust, which administers the Connecting British Columbia program, to ensure regular reporting is completed for each project.”

Furthermore, while ABC Communications currently offers packages of 3 to 25 Mbps perhaps it’s possible that by March 31, 2020 (the deadline), the company will be offering 50 Mbps packages.

Depending on what the packages will be like and ABC Communications’ execution, this may be an absolutely fantastic announcement.

As the minister said, “fibre highways are the new railroads of the 21st century” and bringing that infrastructure to the South Cariboo is obviously welcome. However, if ABC Communications only ends up offering packages of 3 Mbps in these specific regions, despite having the capacity for 50 Mbps, or even 50 Mbps packages that are well out of reach in terms of cost for most people and businesses this seems like a poor use of taxpayers dollars. You’d think the minister would consider that to be within her “purview.”


newsroom@100milefreepress.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Snowarama coming to Green Lake area

Poker run, 50/50 draw and an open house at the snowmobile club

Suspicious incident turned out to be a dud

Police appreciate quick actions of homeowner

Cariboo-Chilcotin MLA disappointed by NDP throne speech

‘The throne speech had nothing in it for rural British Columbia, absolutely nothing.’

100 Mile House Wranglers score big with Cyclone Taylor Cup hosting bid

The Wranglers will be hosting British Columbia’s biggest Junior B prize in 2020

VIDEO: Canada’s flag turns 54 today

The maple leaf design by George Stanley made its first appearance Feb. 15, 1965

Eight cases of measles confirmed in Vancouver outbreak

Coastal Health official say the cases stem from the French-language Ecole Jules Verne Secondary

Plecas won’t run in next election if B.C. legislature oversight reforms pass

B.C. Speaker and Abbotsford South MLA says he feels ‘great sympathy’ for Jody Wilson-Raybould

Workshop with ‘accent reduction’ training cancelled at UBC

The workshop was cancelled the same day as an email was sent out to international students

Former B.C. premier Gordon Campbell accused of sexual touching

Accuser went to police, interviewed by Britian’s Daily Telegraph

Judge rules Abbotsford home must be sold after son tries to evict mom

Mom to get back down payment and initial expenses

Trump officially declares national emergency to build border wall

President plans to siphon billions from federal military construction and counterdrug efforts

Snow turns to slush, rain as it warms up across B.C.’s south coast

Some areas are already covered by more than half a metre of snow following three separate storms

Father to be charged with first-degree murder in Amber Alert case

11-year-old Riya Rajkumar was found dead in her father’s home in Brampton, Ontario

Most Read