Citadel Middle School. (Google Maps)

Boy, 13, arrested after alleged assault involving girl at B.C. middle school

Boy alleged to have used ‘inappropriate levels of force’ to injure the girl

A 13-year-old boy from Maple Ridge has been arrested after an alleged assault involving four boys and one girl at a Port Coquitlam middle school.

The incident happened on Jan. 10 at around 3:15 p.m. at Citadel Middle School, RCMP said in a news release Tuesday.

Investigators believe that a verbal confrontation between four boys and one girl escalated when the girl allegedly used a low level of physical force, police said. The 13-year-old allegedly responded with an “inappropriate level of force” that injured the girl, police said.

The boy was arrested and released on conditions to appear in court at a later date. Mounties said they have suggested one count of assault and one count of uttering threats to the B.C. Prosecution Service.

Police did not release the boy’s name because he is a minor and has not been formally charged.

Mounties also asked the public to avoid jumping to conclusions, especially online.

ALSO READ: B.C. teacher suspended for poking student in stomach, pulling another’s ponytail

“There are allegations appearing on social media that directly contradict the video evidence, witness statements, and established facts of this investigation,” said Cpl. Michael McLaughlin in the release.

“There has been a lot of anger directed to the school and police. We want to assure everyone that our first priority is to continually assess the risk and make sure that everyone involved is safe.”

More evidence needs to be gathered and evaluated, he added, and charges are possible against another youth involved.

On Monday, the alleged victim’s mother posted a detailed account of what happened. The post had been shared more than 2,500 times on Facebook as of Tuesday afternoon. Black Press Media is not publishing any names that could identify the people involved in the incident.

According to the mother, her 14-year-old daughter was at the school to pick up her younger sisters, ages 11 and 6, when a group of boys started following them, yelling profanities and sexual comments.

“The boys started walking right behind the girls and one boy walked side-by-side with my oldest daughter, and because of the slippery sidewalks, she slipped on some snow,” the post reads. “When she slipped, she bumped into his shoulder and then he called her a b****.”

She said her daughter and a 13-year-old boy got into a pushing match, which escalated, and that her daughter was punched in the face until she “blacked out.”

She said one of the other boys was filming the encounter, that her daughter told her that nearby parents didn’t intervene.

“My child’s face was covered in blood and swollen and I could not tell the extent of her injuries. It was the most terrifying moment of my life,” the mom said.

She said her 11-year-old daughter has been too scared to go back and claimed that the school has not suspended or disciplined the alleged attackers.

Black Press Media has contacted the mother for further comment. The RCMP said it could not confirm any of these details and that the investigation is ongoing.

READ MORE: ‘Weird, creepy, inappropriate’ short films ends in suspension for B.C. teacher

In a statement on Twitter, Port Coquitlam Mayor Brad West said he has reached out to the mother since learning of the incident, as well as RCMP and senior leadership with School District 43.

“We all have a responsibility to demonstrate respect and inclusion and be good role models for our children,” he said. “That’s what has made Port Coquitlam a diverse and welcoming community.”

School board chair Kerri Palmer Isaak told Black Press Media the board would not comment on an ongoing police investigation, nor individual students, but that it has been in contact with the school and RCMP.

“At the moment, the most emergent issue is with the families involved and helping the families in that school,” she said.

Ken Hoff, spokesperson for School District 43 said in an emailed statement that the district is aware of the incident and “takes this matter very seriously and is addressing the situation.” He said due to the ongoing police investigation, the school district would not be providing any further comment.

Black Press Media has reached out to the school principal for comment.

@ashwadhwani
ashley.wadhwani@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Up to 10 centimetres of snow were expected on Highway 97 from Clinton to Begbie Summit and in 100 Mile House on Oct.24. (Kelly Sinoski photo, 100 Mile Free Press)
More sand, plow trucks coming to region

More plows and brine trucks will be operating on the Highway 97 corridor this winter.

Fraser-Nicola BC NDP candidate Aaron Sumexheltza (third from l) with members of the Ashcroft Slough Society, Sept. 9, 2020. After the initial count, the first-time provincial candidate is trailing incumbent Jackie Tegart of the BC Liberal Party. (Photo credit: Barbara Roden)
Liberal incumbent Jackie Tegart holds narrow lead over Aaron Sumexheltza of NDP

Initial count is complete, and mail-in ballots will determine who wins in Fraser-Nicola

NDP Leader John Horgan celebrates his election win in the British Columbia provincial election in downtown Vancouver, B.C., Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Horgan celebrates projected majority NDP government, but no deadline for $1,000 deposit

Premier-elect says majority government will allow him to tackle issues across all of B.C.

FILE – Prime Minister Justin Trudeau greets Premier John Horgan during a press conference at the BC Transit corporate office following an announcement about new investments to improve transit for citizens in the province while in Victoria on Thursday, July 18, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito
Trudeau congratulates Horgan on NDP’s election victory in British Columbia

Final count won’t be available for three weeks due to the record number of 525,000 ballots cast by mail

Comedic actor Seth Rogen, right, and business partner Evan Goldberg pose in this undated handout photo. When actor Seth Rogen was growing up and smoking cannabis in Vancouver, he recalls there was a constant cloud of shame around the substance that still lingers. Rogen is determined to change that. (Maarten de Boer ohoto)
Seth Rogen talks about fighting cannabis stigma, why pot should be as accepted as beer

‘I smoke weed all day and every day and have for 20 years’

Provincial Green Party leader Sonia Furstenau speaks at Provincial Green Party headquarters at the Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe in Victoria. (Arnold Lim / Black Press)
VIDEO: Furstenau leads BC Greens to win first riding outside of Vancouver Island

Sonia Furstenau became leader of BC Greens one week before snap election was called

Is it time to start thinking about greener ways to package cannabis?

Packaging suppliers are still figuring eco-friendly and affordable packaging options that fit the mandates of Cannabis Regulations

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

NDP Leader John Horgan elbow bumps NDP candidate Coquitlam-Burke Mountain candidate Fin Donnelly following a seniors round table in Coquitlam, B.C., Tuesday, October 20, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Horgan, NDP head for majority in B.C. election results

Record number of mail-in ballots may shift results

The Canadian border is pictured at the Peace Arch Canada/USA border crossing in Surrey, B.C. Friday, March 20, 2020. More than 4.6 million people have arrived in Canada since the border closed last March and fewer than one-quarter of them were ordered to quarantine while the rest were deemed “essential” and exempted from quarantining. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Majority of international travellers since March deemed ‘essential’, avoid quarantine

As of Oct. 20, 3.5 million travellers had been deemed essential, and another 1.1 million were considered non-essential

Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam responds to a question during a news conference Friday October 23, 2020 in Ottawa. Canada’s top physician says she fears the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths may increase in the coming weeks as the second wave continues to drive the death toll toward 10,000. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Canada’s top doctor warns severe illness likely to rise, trailing spike in COVID-19 cases

Average daily deaths from virus reached 23 over the past seven days, up from six deaths six weeks ago

Most Read