Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department’s (DLDVFD) 30th Annual Fishing Derby celebrated one particular circumstance Aug. 4-5.
Captain and training officer Terry Allan and captain Gary Biro are both original members of the department, and to much applause, fire chief Al Boyce presented both with the Cariboo Regional District’s 30-year service pins.
Deka Lake residents really appreciate the hard work and dedication of the DLDVFD members: Terry Allan, Darrell Barlow, Gary Biro, Al Boyce, Montana Forster, Mario Huebel, Jake Knudsen, Dean Little, Neal Morgan, Dave McCaw, Bob McCune, David Regehr, Ken Rowe, Don Traill, Kyle Turley, Bob Warner, Jim Watson, Ted Weight, Dalton West, Dan Wiebe and Ken Wright.
At their Sept. 4 meeting, Highway 24/lnterlakes Lions drew their raffle winners.
The first prize boat, trailer and motor went to Langley’s Lorna Embree, while Lion Kitty Carroll won the lifejacket and Sheridan Lake’s Evan Johnson won the tire changeover.
The Bridge Lake Elementary School (BLES) Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) met Sept. 26, and the 2012/13 executive includes president Andrea Veitch, vice-president Karen Valihora, secretary Sandy Law and treasurer Mandy Lipka.
The PAC’s annual dinner auction is Dec. 1. The Mexican-themed evening starts with viewing at 5 p.m., followed by dinner at 5:30, with the auction at 6:30. Tickets cost $10 and are available at the school or Bridge Lake Store. No minors are permitted. Entry to the auction alone costs $1.
Donations to the auction can be left at the school, or call Veitch at 250-593-2285 for pickup.
Bridge Lake Community School (BLCS) is offering floor hockey at 7:30 p.m. Fridays from Oct.12. For information, call Leroy Wright at 250-593-9355.
Aerobics is offered at 7 p.m., Oct. 15. There is no charge, but call to register.
Bonnie Winter’s five classes of Shambhala meditation are at 7 p.m. Tuesdays, from Oct. 16. The cost is $30.
A FoodSafe course is offered in Clearwater Oct. 19-20. The cost is $100.
All classes require registration, so call co-ordinator Gail Larson at 250-593-4351.
Roe Lake’s annual Christmas Bazaar is at Interlakes Hall is from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Nov. 18.
Tables must be reserved and paid for by Nov. 10. Regular tables cost $25, but there are a few small ones at $20.
To reserve, call Verna Desjardine at 250-593-0025 or Barb Weston at 250-593-4967.
Interlakes extends deepest condolences to Mieke McIntosh and family on the loss of her husband, Bruce, on Sept. 25.
A Sheridan Lake resident for several decades, Bruce will be sadly missed by many friends. No memorial service is planned.
Today, we celebrate Kim Daeubler’s 12th birthday, and congratulate Marsha and Dennis McCoy on their 42nd wedding anniversary.
We also send congratulations on Tony Eades’ 75th birthday, and Celine and Paul Desaulniers’s 47th wedding anniversary.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Crib, Deka Fire Hall, 7:30 p.m., Oct. 12
• Deka Ladies Auxiliary Fall Dinner, Deka Fire Hall, Oct. 14. Everyone welcome. Adults pay $12; children six to 12 pay $6. Call this writer to reserve.
• Knotty Ladies Appliqué Group meets noon to 3 p.m., Oct. 15 at Interlakes Hall.
• Highway 24/Interlakes Lions meet 6:30 p.m., Oct 15 at Interlakes Hall.
• Deka fire practice, 6:30 p.m., Oct. 16.
• Log Cabin Quilters meet 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Oct. 17.
• DLDVFD quarterly meeting, l0 a.m., Oct. 21. All firefighters should attend.
• Call 250-593-0121 to reserve $14 tickets for the Oct. 27 Halloween Dance at Interlakes Hall. Tickets at the door cost $16.
• To commit to dressing a Halloween stall at the Interlakes Rodeo Grounds, call Carolyn Charlton at 250-593-4582.