The Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department’s annual Ice-Fishing derby is set for Saturday, Feb. 16 now that B.C has changed its Family Day to match up with others across Canada.
Weigh in at Access #12 from dawn to 2 p.m. Fish prizes are awarded to three places for kokanee, lake trout and rainbow.
Refreshments will be available on the ice, and prize-giving will also be on the ice as soon after 2 p.m. as possible.
Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children aged 12 and under, and all are entered in the prize draw even if you don’t fish. Winners must be present to win a draw prize.
Long-time residents will be saddened to learn that Sandra Penner passed away Dec. 31 at the age of 79. Sandra and her late husband, Bill, were involved with Deka Citizens on Patrol for many years before moving to Horse Lake, but she had been in care for several years. No memorial service is planned.
Sincere condolences are extended to her sister, Celine Desaulniers, their other family members, and many old friends.
Birthday bubbly goes to octogenarians Jean Bishop and Joan Foster, and special 90th birthday wishes to Kitty Carroll and Bill Jollymore.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
– Foot Massage at the Interlakes Community Centre (ICC) is from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 21. Call 250-593-4869 to make an appointment.
– Community Quilting at the ICC is from 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 23.
– Darts & Games night at the Mountain Spruce Community Events Centre starts at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 26.
– Debbie’s Medical Footcare is available at the ICC from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Thursday, Feb. 7 and 21. Call 250-593-4869 to make an appointment.
– Tickets ($25) for the ICC’s Valentine Dinner/Auction/Dance at 6 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 15, are now available at Bridge Lake Store, The Country Pedlar and Interlakes Market.