Perhaps a glorious summer-like weather kept people out in their gardens, as the turnout for Sulphurous Lake District Volunteer Firefighters Association (SLDVFFA) annual Thanksgiving Sale was not as good as usual Oct. 6.
There wasn’t a raffle draw this year, as the number of ladies in their ways and means committee is also very low.
Residents are thankful for the hard work and dedication of the Interlakes Volunteer Fire Department members: Bill Adams, Hans-Peter Anton, Eric Babcock, Graham Baker, Betty Baker, Mike Campbell, Chelsea Cant, Doug Canty, Glenda Carson, John Coulter, Carson Dorward, Jim Dunbar, Glenn Ehlers, Joe Heine, Roger Henzel, Pete Johnsen, Butch Kernachan, Dan McLachlan, Thilo Merkt, Heidi Middleton, Geoff Middleton, Jacquie Moberg, Jamie Moberg, Ruediger Munk, Matthew Palmer, Heather Paterson, Barry Reid, Gordon Smith, Larry Staeheli, Terry Thew, Dorothy Townsend,
Doug Townsend, Ron Veitch, Andrea Veitch, Kris Verheul, Bill Versluis, Joe Visscher, Klaus Vogel, Ken Weadick, Rick Weeks and Jim Wishart.
Bridge Lake Elementary School students all ran (or walked) to Chrystal Lake, which is a distance of some four kilometre each way, to honour of Terry Fox on Sept. 27.
The school really appreciated the parents who travelled with the students, as well as Martin Betschart who drove the support vehicle. When it was all tabulated, the students had raised an impressive $718 for Terry’s foundation.
The school is looking for “reading pals.” This is a one-on-one reading session to help students develop their reading skills. Call the school at 250-593-4674 if you are able to help.
At 2:15 p.m., Oct. 24, Bridge Lake Community School (BLCS) is offering youth the opportunity to make a Halloween surprise.
There is no charge for the class, which includes juice and cookies. Children must be picked up at 4 p.m.
The annual free flu clinic at BLCS for seniors and others who qualify is from 10 a.m. to noon Nov.13. No appointment is necessary.
Many happy returns are sent for Kendall Wilcox’s 17th birthday on Oct. 23.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Kids Space meets at 5:30-7:30 p.m., Oct. 19 at Interlakes Hall.
• Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department (DLDVFD) quarterly meeting is at 10 a.m., Oct. 21. All firefighters are requested to attend.
• School District #27 board presents “Initial Options Report” for your feedback at Peter Skene Ogden Secondary School on Oct. 23 at 6:30 p.m.
• Roe Lake & District Recreation Commission meets at the hall Oct. 24 at 7 p.m., followed by an Interlakes Community Association meeting at 7:30.
• Call 250-593-0121 to reserve for the Halloween Dance at Interlakes Hall, Oct. 27.
• To commit to dressing a Halloween stall at Interlakes Rodeo Grounds, call Carolyn Charlton at 250-593-4582.
• Call 250-593-0025 to reserve your $25 table at Nov. 18 Roe Lake Christmas Bazaar at Interlakes Hall.
• DLDVFD firefighters go door-to-door to collect food or cash for Interlakes Christmas Giftboxes, Nov. 4 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.