The BC Family Day long weekend (Feb. 8-10) is being celebrated in the South Cariboo, with a number of family-friendly events.
• Feb. 8 – There will be a Zumba fitness charity event at the 108 Community Centre from 10 to 11 a.m. Proceeds from the event will go to Mike Jones who was born and raised in 100 Mile House and is having a bone marrow transplant.
For more information, contact Gale Ogden at email@example.com or call 250-396-7381.
• Feb. 8 – The Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department is holding its annual ice-fishing derby. Weigh-in is from dawn to 2 p.m. at the intersection of Julsrud and Burgess roads.
The $6 tickets are available at the weigh-in. Bring the whole family.
• Feb. 9 – The Green Lake Snowmobile Club Winterfest and Open House will be held at the clubhouse (176 Green Lake South Rd.). Registration for the poker ride is at 10 a.m. (entry fee by donation) and the first sled leaves at 10:30. Youth under 16 years must be accompanied by an adult.
For more information on this BC Lions Society for Children with Disabilities fundraiser, call Peter McKie at 250-456-6806.
• Feb. 9 – The Interlakes Economic Association presents the Interlakes Outhouse Races on Commercial Boulevard (Interlakes on Highway 24) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. There is no fee to enter an outhouse for the races – deadline for entry is Feb. 1. For outhouse construction and race rules, go to www.interlakesevents.ca. For general information, call Shelly at 250-593-4114.
• Feb. 10 – Celebrate Family Day on the slopes at the Mt. Timothy Ski Area for some affordable family fun. Monday Madness allows adults to ski for $25 and children aged six to 12 can ski free for free if they are accompanied by an adult family member.
There will be an outdoor barbecue. For more information, call guest services at 250-396-4095.
• Feb. 10 – The 100 Mile Nordic Ski Society is hosting a family cross-country ski the Beanstalk Cabin at the 99 Mile Ski trails, starting at noon. There will be a fire, so bring along some hotdogs, marshmallows or whatever you want for roasting; hot chocolate will be available. Non-members will only be charged a toonie.