Carbon tax increase April 1

I recommend everyone take the opportunity to fill up your gas tank before the Horgan government hikes the carbon tax again on April 1.

This will be the second consecutive increases to the carbon tax since the NDP formed government just 19 months ago, with promises of at least two more.

By eliminating the ‘revenue neutral’ aspect of the carbon tax (i.e. no increase to the carbon tax without a corresponding decrease in income tax) the NDP found a whole new source of revenue that would be phased in gradually so that most people wouldn’t notice. At least that’s what Horgan hoped.

The fact is more and more people are beginning to notice every time they fill up at the pump, pay to heat their home, or even buy groceries.

The carbon tax applies to all types of fuel, from natural gas to diesel, so even trucks delivering produce to the grocery store are captured by the tax. In the end, consumers and average taxpayers end up footing the bill.

John Horgan wants you to believe he needs the money to fight climate change. This is a pile of baloney.

Less than 15 per cent of the carbon tax goes toward climate change. The remaining 85 per cent of carbon tax goes directly into general revenue to pay for the NDP’s massive increase in government spending.

Horgan will also say his carbon tax increases are necessary to comply with federal government requirements.

This too is hogwash. The battle lines have only grown wider between Ottawa and the provinces over the whole issue of carbon tax.

The carbon tax increases are projected to raise an additional $2.35 billion from tax payer’s back pocket. All before the next election is held.

By that time, the average person may have had enough of being nickel and dimed by Premier Horgan.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Horgan’s caribou liaison quits

Blair Lekstrom was appointed to ease tension between local groups over plan to save threatened herds

From the archives of the 100 Mile Free Press

34 YEARS AGO (1986): The cost of insurance for the village surprised… Continue reading

Diaries of a City Kid: Siblings

As a child, I didn’t follow in my sisters’ footsteps, I ran… Continue reading

Peter Skene Ogden students let loose during annual Winter Formal

‘We are going to be remodelling the courtyards’

108 Lions prepare for ICE OFF contest

The 108 Mile Ranch Lions Club is currently preparing the annual ICE… Continue reading

‘Presumptive case’ of coronavirus in Canada confirmed by Ontario doctors

Man in his 50s felt ill on his return to Canada from Wuhan, China

People knowingly take fentanyl so make policy changes to reduce harm: B.C. study

Dr. Jane Buxton, an epidemiologist at the centre, says drug users need more resources,

‘My heart is going to bleed’: Bodies brought back to Canada following Iran plane crash

Remains of Sahar Haghjoo, 37, and her eight-year-old daughter, Elsa Jadidi, were identified last weekend

BCLC opens novelty bet on Harry and Meghan moving to the west coast

Meanwhile, real estate agency points to four possible homes for the family

Coastal GasLink work camp in Vanderhoof gets approved by the ALC

The work camp behind the Vanderhoof airport was first rejected by the commission in October last year

Canada slips in global corruption ranking in aftermath of SNC-Lavalin scandal

The country obtained a score of 77, which places it at the top in the Americas

Wuhan bans cars, Hong Kong closes schools as coronavirus spreads

Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said her government will raise its response level to emergency, highest one

B.C.’s oldest practising lawyer celebrates 100th birthday, shares advice

Firefighters bring Constance Isherwood a cake with 100 birthday candles

Most Read