The Lay family of Maple Ridge. (files)

UPDATE: B.C. family makes its way to Bali after second earthquake on Indonesian island

Second deadly quake in a week to hit Lombok.

A Maple Ridge family has managed to make their way to Bali after being stuck on the Indonesian island of Lombok following a 7.0 earthquake that has killed close to 100 people.

“We have made it on a very crowded boat headed to Bali,” Jennifer Montgomery-Lay wrote on her Facebook blog, called Life All Over the Map.

“Never felt so grateful and yet so sad to leave paradise,” she wrote.

Montgomery-Lay expected the boat ride to take about five hours and thanked everyone for sharing her family’s story, praying for them and loving them as they make their trek home.

She asked her followers to please continue to send support to those still stuck on the island.

earthquake

Montgomery-Lay started an online blog to detail the trials and tribulations the family has faced since her daughter was diagnosed with cancer.

Logan Lay was diagnosed June 3, 2005, when she was eight years old. She went through seven years of solid treatment. She did three different cycles of chemotherapy and had full brain and spine radiation, as well as multiple surgeries.

The family embarked on trip earlier this year after Logan’s doctors told the family that she was not responding to chemotherapy any more, Montgomery-Lay wrote in February.

On Aug. 4, she said the she, her husband, 14-year-old son and 21-year-old daughter are stuck in Lombok after the earthquake.

“We are safe,” she said.

“But, yes, we have been hit by a 7.0 earthquake and it was scary as hell.”

A powerful earthquake flattened houses and toppled bridges on the Indonesian tourist island of Lombok, killing at least 98 people and shaking neighbouring Bali, as authorities said Monday that rescuers still hadn’t reached some devastated areas and the death toll would climb, according to the Canadian Press.

It was the second deadly quake in a week to hit Lombok. A July 29 quake killed 16 people and damaged hundreds of houses, some of which collapsed in Sunday evening’s magnitude 7.0 temblor, killing those inside.

“As far as we know the epicentre was about 40-km from where we are located,” Montgomery-Lay wrote of the second one.

“There was a lot of damage to our hotel, but only minor injuries (thank the dear Lord).

“We have lost power and been evacuated from our hotel.

“A tsunami warning was issued. (But there are reports it is being lifted.)

“We are still feeling aftershocks apparently there have been 16. (Now over 100.)

“At this point we are unclear what will happen next.”

She said the family is shaken and upset.

“No one is leaving the gathering station – yet …

“Once it is safe, we may try to go to the airport and get on any flight we can to either Kuala Lumpur or Singapore and make our way back to Bangkok to catch our flight home. We’ve tried calling the airlines and can’t get through. We have very limited service, no Wi-fi and only one phone with data access.”

Montgomery-Lay said most flights are already full.

“Apparently there is damage to Bali airport as well, but all info we have is hearsay at this point.

“We will do our best to keep you all posted as we can. Much love.”

 

The Lays are stuck on the Indonesian island of Lombok. (Life All Over the Map blog).

Just Posted

Walk into the forest in the Showcase Gallery

Group exhibit is focussed on trees

More Than Wood Art Gallery in 100 Mile House shows off artists

‘There is so much talent. It’s amazing’

Chekhov’s gun

A weekly family column for the 100 Mile Free Press

What are you doing on your Christmas break?

Megan Balbirnie 103 Mile House “I’m probably staying home then we’re going… Continue reading

Lawyer for Chinese exec detained by Canada says it’s ‘inconceivable’ she would flee

Meng Wanzhou was detained at the request of the U.S. during a layover at the Vancouver airport

Pipeline protesters arrested at B.C. university

Three protesters were arrested after TRU property allegedly vandalized with red paint

Goodale to ‘examine’ transfer of Rafferty to medium-security prison

Michael Rafferty was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 in the kidnapping, sexual assault and first-degree murder of Tori Stafford

‘Abhorrent’ condition of autistic B.C. boy shows flaws in care system: report

‘Charlie’ was underweight and ‘covered in feces’ when he was removed from his mom’s care

Minister appoints former CIRB chair to resolve Canada Post labour dispute

Postal workers engaged in weeks of rotating walkouts

B.C. man linked to human remains probe to stand trial on unrelated assault case

Curtis Wayne Sagmoen will appear on all three Vernon matters this week

B.C. lumber industry trade mission still has high hopes for China

Forests Minister Doug Donaldson cut short trip after Japan, Korea stops

CRD to hold byelection for Area F

Conrad Turcotte who won the seat in the Oct. 20 election has been unable to take his oath of office due to illness

Omar Khadr to ask for Canadian passport to travel, permission to speak to sister

He spent years in U.S. detention at Guantanamo Bay after he was caught when he was 15

Most Read