Search and rescue teams followed along train tracks Thursday, March 26 searching for a missing boy named Luke near Hixon. (Nechako Valley Search and Rescue Facebook photo)

Search and rescue teams followed along train tracks Thursday, March 26 searching for a missing boy named Luke near Hixon. (Nechako Valley Search and Rescue Facebook photo)

UPDATE: Quesnel Search and Rescue say missing boy found

Search efforts to find Luke, age 12, were concentrated in the Hixon area

UPDATE: 6:20 P.M.

A boy missing for 48 hours has been found according to Quesnel Search and Rescue.

They shared the news on Twitter just after 6 p.m on Friday, March 26.

“Subject has been found safe!” their tweet reads. “Thank you to all the volunteers.”

The boy, who is 12-years-old, had been missing since Wednesday, March 24. Rescuers had been searching just south of Hixon.

A few minutes later, Const. Jennifer Cooper, spokesperson for the Prince George RCMP confirmed the news via email, noting he was found “safe and sound.”

UPDATE: 5 P.M.

Prince George RCMP have updated the status of the search for a missing 12-year-old boy. Luke was last seen on Wednesday, March 24 at 5:30 p.m.

A press release from the police notes more than 35 search and rescue members from organizations across the Cariboo are out searching using the “open-grid” method just south of Hixon. Search and Rescue are not calling for volunteers from the public at this time.

“Crews are working with extremely hilly and deep terrain in some areas and clear cuts or dense brush in other places,” said search and rescue coordinator Dave Merritt. “There is everything from thigh-deep snow on an adult to bare ground. The numerous creeks and rivers in the region are also factors we are dealing with. Search and rescue crews are using ATVs, side-by-sides and even horses to increase their search area.”

Aircraft and dogs from the RCMP are also assisting in the search. Police are exploring the possibility Luke, who they called a Prince George resident, may have been picked up and travelled out of the area.

“We are concerned that Luke may have attempted to hitchhike with a stranger, making us worried for his safety,” said Const. Jennifer Cooper, spokesperson for the Prince George RCMP. “There is also the very real possibility that he is still within the area where search and rescue is concentrating their efforts. Our concern is that there would be exposure to the cold overnight, as temperatures fell to -1 degrees Celsius during the last two days.”

If you believe you have seen Luke or know of his whereabouts, please call your local police detachment immediately.

“Luke may not comprehend conversation at his own age level,” the news release notes.

Prince George RCMP also noted the missing boy is 12 years old, and not 13 as they originally said.

UPDATE: 2:30 P.M.

Prince George Search and Rescue manager Dave Merritt said as of Friday afternoon there were about 35 SAR members as well as CN Rail and local highway workers searching the Hixon area for Luke, missing since Wednesday.

Merritt noted SAR does not need help from the public at this time, however, they are thankful for all the support and will put out a public call for help if needed.

“We appreciate everyone’s efforts and thoughts for us and for the family, we are doing everything we can.”

ORIGINAL STORY:

The search for a missing boy in the north Cariboo is intensifying Friday, March 26.

Several search and rescue teams from across the North and Cariboo region were out in the night and again this morning in the Hixon area assisting the Prince George RCMP and Prince George Search and Rescue in the search for a 13-year-old boy named Luke. Images from the search show teams walking through snowy forests and train tracks in the dark looking for the boy.

13 NVSAR members joined SAR volunteers from across the central interior in the search tonight near Hixon and will continue Friday. If you have any info contact the RCMP.

Posted by Nechako Valley Search and Rescue on Friday, March 26, 2021

Luke was last seen on Wednesday, March 24 at 5:30 p.m. Mounties requested help from the public Thursday, noting investigators believed the youth could have been traveling south on Highway 97 and may not comprehend conversation at his own age level.

Quesnel Search and Rescue was one of many teams called to assist.

“At least five different SAR groups are on task searching for the subject,” stated the post, noting SAR teams from Quesnel, Williams Lake, 100 Mile House, Vanderhoof and Smithers are on scene for the search which is being led by Prince George Search and Rescue.

The Nechako Valley Search and Rescue brought 13 NVSAR members to help.

Luke is described as being four feet tall with a slim build with light brown curly hair and hazel eyes. He was last seen wearing a green and yellow coat with duct tape on it, a black hoodie, and black pants. He may be carrying a ball of twine and have a “P.J. Masks” backpack with extra clothes.

Hixon is located between Prince George and Quesnel.

Read More: Missing child said to be heading south down Highway 97


Do you have a comment about this story? email:
editor@wltribune.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

RCMP

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

Multiple search and rescue groups are on task near Hixon, B.C. in the search for a missing boy. (Cassidy Dankochik photo - Quesnel Observer)

Multiple search and rescue groups are on task near Hixon, B.C. in the search for a missing boy. (Cassidy Dankochik photo - Quesnel Observer)

Search and rescue groups have converged in the Hixon area as they search for a missing boy. (Cassidy Dankochik photo- Quesnel Obvserver)

Search and rescue groups have converged in the Hixon area as they search for a missing boy. (Cassidy Dankochik photo- Quesnel Obvserver)

Just Posted

B.C's COVID-19 dashboard shows the peaks and valleys of cases prior to the record daily report of 132 on April 9, 2021. (Dashboard image)
Interior Health has record day of COVID-19 cases

132 cases reported Friday, April 9, more deaths in Vernon hospital outbreak

(Black Press files)
Chief Civilian Director Ronald J. McDonald, QC reviewed the evidence and determined reasonable grounds exist to believe in officer may have committed offenses. (Black Press files)
Crown considering charges against Williams Lake Mountie after high-speed pursuit: police watchdog

IIO says the man, who was arrested, sustained serious but not life-threatening injuries from the incident

Sarah Smith is a bereavement worker with 100 Mile Hospice. (Kelly Sinoski - 100 Mile Free Press).
‘Grief never goes away’: Hospice seeks to add programs

Growing demand for bereavement services in the South Cariboo region.

Abstract Aspens by Monika Paterson.
Photography exhibits all Shades of Nature

Parkside Gallery features local art

B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix and Premier John Horgan describe vaccine rollout at the legislature, March 29, 2021. (B.C. government)
1,262 more COVID-19 infections in B.C. Friday, 9,574 active cases

Province’s mass vaccination reaches one million people

Librarian Katie Burns with the Fraser Valley Regional Libraries poses for a photo in Chilliwack on June 18, 2019. Monday, April 12, 2021 is Library Workers’ Day. (Jenna Hauck/ Chilliwack Progress file)
Unofficial holidays: Here’s what people are celebrating for the week of April 11 to 17

Library Workers Day, That Sucks! Day, and Wear Your Pyjamas to Work Day are all coming up this week

A large illuminated heart was installed on the roof of the Vernon Jubilee Hospital May 1, 2020. (VJH Foundation photo)
Three deaths linked to COVID-19 outbreak in Vernon hospital

Interior Health reports two additional deaths at VJH

Robinson Russ, 37, was fatally stabbed on April 4, according to a statement from police. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Vancouver police name victim following city’s fourth homicide of 2021

Robinson Russ, 37, was fatally stabbed Sunday in the Downtown Eastside

A man wears a face mask past the emergency department of the Vancouver General Hospital. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward)
Calls for stricter action in B.C. as COVID-19 variants projected to climb

Jens von Bergmann says the province has taken a ‘wait and see’ approach when early action is needed

Vancouver’s park board general manager issued a new order Friday restricting tents and other temporary structures from being set up in Strathcona Park after April 30, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Vancouver park board issues order to restrict tents in Strathcona Park

The order issued Friday restricted tents and other temporary structures from being set up after April 30

Vancouver Canucks general manager Jim Benning says the players who’ve tested positive for COVID-19 are recovering and the team still intends to play a 56-game season. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Canucks players ‘mostly on the other side’ of COVID outbreak: general manager

The athletes have had a “whole range” of COVID-19 symptoms, said team physician Dr. Jim Bovard, but no one has needed to be hospitalized

Police are investigating after a man was shot Thursday, April 8 while sitting in a car in Vancouver. (Black Press files)
Man shot in Vancouver while sitting in a parked car: police

The victim is currently in critical condition. Police say no arrests have been made.

Most Read