Police take photos around a covered body in Toronto after a van mounted a sidewalk crashing into a number of pedestrians on Monday, April 23, 2018. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette

The eight women and two men killed in Toronto van attack identified

10 people were killed on Monday after a man in a van mowed down dozens of people

The victims of this week’s van attack in Toronto include eight women and two men, authorities said Friday as they released their identities and announced more charges against the man arrested in connection with the incident.

Dr. Dirk Huyer, the chief coroner for Ontario, said the victims range in age from 22 to 94 years old, and include two foreign nationals — a student from South Korea and a man from Jordan who was visiting family in Toronto.

“This was a very complex tragedy, continues to involve significant steps of investigation, and given the events and circumstances, we undertook scientific efforts to confirm and ensure all the proper identifications,” Huyer said.

“We needed to do the additional work to ensure there was no confusion or any potential additional grief that was already burdened by this tragedy.”

Huyer said his office has spoken with the families of all ten people killed.

Alek Minassian, 25, of Richmond Hill, Ont., is facing 10 counts of first-degree murder and 13 counts of attempted murder in connection with the Monday incident, which also left 16 people injured.

Police said Friday investigators have identified more people who were injured in the attack and expect to file three additional attempted-murder charges against Minassian at his next court hearing, set for May 10.

Insp. Bryan Bott said investigators have interviewed more than 170 witnesses so far and have more than 100 remaining. Police have also searched Minassian’s home and seized several items, Bott said.

“Our work will continue as we look to move this case forward and secure a successful prosecution,” he said.

Related: B.C. man’s great-aunt among 10 victims of Toronto attack

Related: Officer’s actions ‘one shining moment’ after Toronto van attack

Related: Toronto van attack suspect faces 10 counts of first-degree murder

Here are the names of the victims:

  • Renuka Amarasingha, 45 of Toronto
  • Andrea Bradden, 33 of Woodbridge
  • Geraldine Brady, 83 of Toronto
  • So He Chung, 22, a student from Korea
  • Anne Marie D’Amico, 30 of Toronto
  • Mary Elizabeth Forsyth, 94 of Toronto
  • Ji Hun Kim, 22 of Toronto
  • Dorothy Sewell, 80 of Toronto
  • Chul Min Kang, 45 of Toronto
  • Munir Abdo Habib Najjar, 85, who was visiting from Jordan

Related: Grief over deadly Toronto van attack sinks in

The Canadian Press

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

81-year-old 100 Mile House man to ride in Ride to Conquer Cancer for the third year in a row

Harry Bishop will be riding the two-day 200-kilometre bike race from Cloverdale to Hope

‘Hot refuelling’: How fire fighting helicopters fuel up in remote areas

‘It’s a very important job out there because without fuel there’s no helicopters.’

75 active fires and 8 wildfires-of-note in Cariboo Fire Centre Aug. 17

The latest update on wildfires, evacuation alerts and orders in the Cariboo Fire Centre.

Evacuation alert lifted for Lang Lake/Murphy Lake, Hawkins Lake, Eagle Creek area

The CRD lifted alerts previously placed on 454 properties

The moonlight ice maker at the South Cariboo Rec Centre

Josh Dickerson will spend the next week-and-a-half putting ice in the hockey arena

PHOTOS: B.C. city wakes up to darkness under wildfire smoke

The rest of the province also dealing with thick haze as smoky skies continue

Safeway union urges prejection of mediator recommendations

Says mediator asks for too many concessions

Fire chases B.C. crews out of their own camp

Crews in Burns Lake had to leave after a wildfire reportedly overtook their sleeping quarters

To address peacock problem, B.C. city moves ahead on trapping plan

Surrey’s new bylaw focuses on ensuring people no longer feed the birds, ahead of relocation

Hospitals to see ‘delays’ in care after losing Saudi students, health group says

About 1,000 Saudi residents called back to kingdom after suspending diplomatic relations with Canada

Bernier diatribe against ‘extreme multiculturalism’ boosts Liberal coffers

Party spokesperson Braeden Caley says online donations doubled, social media engagement quadrupled

‘Disjointed’ system hinders British Columbia First Nations in wildfire fight

More than 550 wildfires were burning in B.C. and crews were bracing for wind and dry lightning

Castlegar bridge designed by architect of collapsed Italian bridge

Riccardo Morandi designed the Kinnaird Bridge, which is part of Highway 3.

Federal government announces over $115 million to Royal Canadian Navy

Defence Minister Harjit S. Sajjan was at Victoria’s CFB Esquimalt to announce missile system upgrades

Most Read