On Sept. 14, 100 Mile House Fire Rescue attended a scene for roughly eight hours at the Super Save Gas Station on Alder Avenue.
“100 Mile Fire Rescue responded to a propane leak at the Super Save Gas Station,” said Fire Chief Roger Hollander. “It was from a pick-up truck that had just fueled up his propane tank, so it was over 100 litres of propane. What happened was there was some sort of puncture at the bottom of the tank, so that puncture was releasing over a hundred litres of propane into the atmosphere.”
There is no environmental damage due to the leak and Hollander said they called the Ministry of the Environment right away.
They also came up with a plan to mitigate the incident and evacuated the gas station and cordoned off the area. They were unable to locate someone to transfer the product over so had to safely vent the propane into the environment.
“It did take a number of hours just due to the small orifice it was venting from. It was about eight hours were on scene and fortunately for our department, our members are trained at the appropriate level to take those actions at a haphazard material level,” said Hollander.
There were no injuries.