Algae bloom at Horse Lake

Residents using surface water are advised to disinfect and filter it before use

  • Aug. 6, 2015 6:00 p.m.

On July 31, Interior Health (IH) issued a public alert to users of Horse Lake that the current algae bloom doesn’t currently pose risk to human health.

Water testing revealed the bloom isn’t producing chemicals that would impact human health at this time.

As it grows and changes, it may start producing toxin. Therefore, IH encourages people to avoid surface water ingestion.

Residents using surface water are advised to disinfect and filter it before use. This removes naturally occurring germs, such as bacteria, viruses and parasites.

Residents unable to treat their water should boil all water used for drinking, washing of fresh fruits and vegetables and making ice for one minute or use water from an alternate potable (drinkable) water source.

Although currently no toxin has been detected, if the situation changes and water becomes contaminated with algal toxin, boiling the water “will not” remove the toxin and an alternate source (bottled water) must be used.