Chelsea Rose, the vocalist of Ophelia Falling, performs at the female-focused metal festival, Metalocalypstick in Lone Butte on July 1, 2018. Beth Audit photo.

Lone Butte women-focused metal festival brings in acts from around the world

Metalocalypstick set for Canada Day weekend

The female-driven heavy metal festival Metalocalypstick is set to shake the grounds of Lone Butte.

“This festival means the celebration of both sexes coming together and creating something amazing,” said Kaija Kinney, who is not only the founder of Metalocalypstick but the vocalist of Vancouver’s Anarcheon.“I want to showcase all of these badass ladies and celebrate the differences between men and women, rather than pretend we are all equal.”

Related: Females in focus at heavy metal festival

More than 20 bands will be taking over the stage inside the community hall during Canada Day weekend (June 29-30).

The festival originated in 2016 after Kinney had been searching for female-focused metal festivals, only to find out that really wasn’t happening. She took matters into her own hands and decided to produce the event herself.

“It took a lot of research and reaching out to bands,” she said. “All of it kind of came together. I never had any experience doing something like this, but I had an idea from being in a band. People didn’t really know about it [in the beginning], but they enjoyed it and talked about it.”

This year’s line up features bands from Australia, Canada, Egypt, Mexico, and the U.S.

“We try to make the lineup roughly 70 per cent of Canadian bands and the other 30 per cent of bands from outside of the country,” she said. “I try to make sure there is diversity in the bands – female singers, drummers, bass and guitar players.”

“A little bit of everything,” she added.

When coming up with the lineup, Kinney said she looks for all sub-genres of metal and punk. The festival is female-driven but doesn’t exclude men. At least one member of the band has to be a female.

Related: Women’s metal festival sees success in Lone Butte

While the festival features heavy metal music, it’s purpose is very light-hearted. The non-profit organization is dedicated to giving back to the community and donating all of the proceeds to charities such as Girls Rock Camp, Vancouver Rape Relief and Women’s Shelter. The festival also sponsors one band to further their musical pursuits.

“There’s a sense of community (throughout the three-day festival) and it’s a safe space for females and the LGBTQ community,” said Kinney.

Passes for the festival are $90 for the weekend. The pass includes free camping and parking. Kinney mentioned the festival being family friendly and a designated area for children if the music is too loud. Children under 12 years old are free.

“I am really looking forward to seeing the bands perform and very appreciative of them.”


newsroom@100milefreepress.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Cow Moose Sign founder wants LEH for antlerless moose hunt in B.C. stopped

“Shooting a cow moose — it’s just not the right thing to do, especially in this region”

Cost-free adult crafting classes come to the South Cariboo this September

‘What I want to promote is a group having fun, something to come to that doesn’t cost them’

What was your favourite part of the Summer Reading Club at the library?

Pawan Nijjar 100 Mile House “The crafts and the prizes we got… Continue reading

Creating intuitive art with a spiritual message: Cindy Faulkner prepares for Studio 2 Studio

‘The feel of clay in my fingernails is just a really great feeling’

Tourism is making a comeback in the South Cariboo

Tourism has made a comeback in the South Cariboo. “The season has… Continue reading

Ethnic media aim to help maintain boost in voting by new Canadians

Statistics Canada says new Canadians made up about one-fifth of the voting population in 2016

Cross-examination begins for B.C. dad accused of killing young daughters

Andrew Berry is charged in the deaths of six-year-old Chloe and four-year-old Aubrey in 2017

Dog attacked by river otters, Penticton owner says

Marie Fletcher says her dog was pulled underwater by four river otters in the Penticton Channel

BC SPCA overwhelmed with cats, kittens needing homes

Large number of cruelty investigations, plus normal ‘kitten season’ to blame

B.C. Hydro applies for rare cut in electricity rates next year

Province wrote off $1.1 billion debt to help reverse rate increase

Speculation tax forces sale of Greater Victoria’s iconic ‘Tulip House’

Bob and Jan Fleming selling their retirement home famous for its thousands of tulips

New police force in Surrey must avoid VPD, RCMP errors made in Pickton case: Oppal

Boots are scheduled to be on the ground by spring 2021

Man at centre of dropped HIV-disclosure case sues province and 10 cops

Brian Carlisle of Abbotsford says Mission RCMP defamed him and were ‘negligent’ in their investigation

Most Read