More than 70 guests enjoyed Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department (DLDVFD) Ladies Auxiliary’s (LA) Fall Dinner, Oct. 14.
This year’s raffle prizes, six of which were provided by the LA, were awarded as follows:
• Firefighter Ken Wright, who purchased $60 worth of tickets, won the first-prize quilt, pillows and shams, and the eighth prize emergency escape ladder.
• Troy Erskine won the 30-minute Cessna sightseeing tour donated by Fraser Pajak.
• Debbie Patterson won the electric power washer.
• Burnaby’s Tom and Linda Rafter won the electric trolling motor.
• Rob Batch of Kamloops won the Dremel System.
• Langley’s Jeff Dickson won the wall hanging.
• The classical guitar, donated by Sandra and Elmer Arrance, went to Todd Chislett.
Door prizes went to firefighter Terry Allan, and the LA’s Sophia Dunne.
The LA is most grateful to everyone who supported the raffle and dinner, which is its biggest single fundraiser for DLDVFD.
The DLDVFD Ladies Auxiliary’s Oct. 3 meeting welcomed new member Donna Anderson.
The LA quilters had recently provided prizes for a South Cariboo Health Foundation fundraiser and a thank-you card was received.
Family bingo for 2013 was confirmed, with two games in March, and summer Wednesdays, starting June 26.
Deka Citizens on Patrol is short-handed at the moment.
When summer residents return home, and locals take vacations or head south, numbers diminish. Anyone who will patrol once a month for two hours is asked to call co-ordinator Donna Jarvis at 250-593-4541.
A criminal record check is required, and patrollers must be over 19.
Bridge Lake Community School’s (BLCS) Wine & Gouda Cheese tasting evening is on Oct. 27, starting at 7 p.m.
There are some 12 varieties of locally available Gouda cheese. The cost is $10. Call in to register and get directions.
The Book Club will meet at 1:30 p.m., Nov. 3 to discuss Hare with the Amber Eyes by Edmond Dewaald. Call in for venue.
All BLCS classes require registration; call co-ordinator Gail Larson at 250-593-4351.
Everyone is invited to the Haunted Halloween Stables at Interlakes Rodeo Grounds on Oct. 31 from 6 to 8:30 p.m.
There will be chili, hotdogs, beverages, a bonfire, goodie bags and the Haunted Stables, one of which will win the highly coveted Scary Stall Award. A huge fireworks display is set for 7.
Anyone who wishes to dress a stall should contact Carolyn Charlton at 250-593-4582.
Auction items needed
Donations to Bridge Lake Elementary School Parent Advisory Committee’s Dec. 1 auction are now being accepted at the school.
Tickets ($10 – adults only) for the Mexican-themed dinner auction are available at the school or at Bridge Lake Store. Numbers are limited, so it’s first come, first served.
Birthday bubbly is sent to Marion Mickelsen, Jean Nixdorf and Diana Souther.
Giorgia Lanzoni gets 12 big balloons on Oct. 28, while her sister, Alice, gets eight on Oct. 30.
Call the writer for contact numbers
• Teen Space meets 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Oct. 26 at Interlakes Hall.
• Crib, Deka Fire Hall, 7.30 p.m., Oct. 26.
Call 250-593-0121 to reserve your $14 tickets for the Oct. 27 Halloween Dance at Interlakes Hall; tickets at the door cost $16.
• Deka fire practice: 6:30 p.m. Oct. 30.
• Deka firefighters go door-to-door to collect food or cash for Interlakes Christmas Giftboxes, l0 a.m. to 2 p.m., Nov. 4.
• Free flu clinic: l0 a.m. to noon, Nov. 13 at Bridge Lake School.
• Call 250-593-0025 to reserve your $25 table at the Roe Lake Christmas Bazaar at Interlakes Hall, Nov. 18.