The Kamloops and Area Chapter of the Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society of Canada will be holding an Outreach Day in Williams Lake on Sept. 25.
The meeting will take place in education rooms A/B at Deni House (adjacent to Cariboo Memorial Hospital) from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Light refreshments will be available.
In addition to the usual chapter updates, research news, and other MS-related information, and there will be two guest speakers from Pro Physioworks. Clinic owner Stewart Bell and Brittany Klingmann are both registered physiotherapists who have experience working with those living with MS. During their presentation, Stewart and Brittany will discuss the following:
• Primary impairments (effects of MS as it relates to change in motor control, balance, strength, energy levels, vision, bladder function, etc.);
• Role of pelvic floor exercises for assisting with bladder control;
• Exercise guidelines and precautions;
• General guidelines that apply to any type of exercise;
• Strengthening guidelines;
• Aerobic exercise;
• Flexibility exercises; and
• Lifestyle modifications and energy conservation methods for individuals with fatigue.
This year, there will not be a separate session in 100 Mile House. However, anyone living outside of Williams Lake is welcome to attend this outreach meeting.
The Interior Health Connections bus travels from 100 Mile House to Williams Lake on Wednesdays, which may be a suitable travel option for those interested in joining the sessions. Call 250-395-2834 for details about this affordable service.
Folks who have any questions/suggestions regarding this outreach visit, or wish to register to attend, can contact Cyndi Lion, community services co-ordinator, at the Kamloops Chapter office 1-888-304-6622, or e-mail Cyndi.email@example.com.