Many congratulations to Deka Ladies Auxiliary member Laurie Hill, of Higgins Lake, who became Mrs. Gary Sayenchuk on July 27.
“It was a beautiful day, which was great because it had rained on either side of the big day,” she says
The ceremony, held at the couple’s lakefront home, was officiated by Marriage Commissioner April Roberts before guests danced the night away to great music provided by Richard Boyer.
Of the 95 guests, Laurie’s best friend, Corey Campbell of Richmond, was Matron of Honour; and Gary’s best friend, Jay O’Shea of Squamish, stood as Best Man.
Most people know the campfire ban went into effect at noon on Aug. 1, reducing the possibility of human-caused fires over the long weekend, and will stay in effect until the end of September unless rescinded.
One of the reasons for the ban was that, generally, 25-35 per cent of wildfires handled by the Cariboo Fire Centre are human-caused, but this year, human-caused fires had accounted for over 70 per cent.
Residents are again reminded to slow down and watch for cattle, especially in the Mahood Lake Road Corridor and on Horse Lake Road.
In mid-July, a calf was hit by a vehicle on Mahood Lake Road. The loss of just one calf has a major impact on our ranchers’ incomes, so drivers must be wide awake and cautious.
It is expected that one of those huge “cattle” signs will be erected on Mahood Lake Road, albeit residents shouldn’t need one.
Bridge Lake Fair news
Don’t miss the 56th Bridge Lake Fair (BLF) at Interlakes Hall on Aug. 18.
From 10 a.m. To 4 p.m., you can enjoy animals, entertainment, a special appearance by Liz McMann, the Chainsaw Girl, a silent auction and, of course, the exhibition itself.
Stay for the closing auction at 4 p.m. Entrants donate their edible entries to the auction and all moneys raised go to Roe Lake & District Recreation Commission (RLDRC) to thank them for free use of the hall and grounds for the weekend.
The BLF is honoured Kamloops-Thompson-Cariboo MP Cathy McLeod has chosen the fair to present a $25,000 grant to RLDRC, for its kitchen venting and fire suppression system.
Birthday bubbly goes to Colleen Law, Harv Allen, Gus Collins and Robbie Stewart.
Many congratulations go to Donna and Jim Watson and Wendy and Gordon Marshall who both celebrate their 52nd wedding anniversary this week.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Cariboo Regional District (CRD) information meeting regarding the Sept. 7 Search and Rescue referendum: 5:30 p.m., Aug. 15 at Interlakes Hall.
• “13 to 93” meets 5 p.m., Aug. 16 at 7895 Deane Rd., Bridge Lake.
• Crib, Deka Fire Hall, 7:30 p.m., Aug. 16.
• Bridge Lake Fair entries will be accepted at Interlakes Hall from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Aug. 17 only. Entrants are asked to bring non-perishables in the morning to allow time to process fresh produce in the afternoon.
• CRD public hearing regarding Danns’ Crooked Lake Ranch proposal: 7 p.m., Aug. 20 at Interlakes Hall.
• Interlakes Volunteer Fire Department annual general meeting: 7 p.m., Aug. 21 at Interlakes Hall.