Interlakes residents were deeply saddened to learn of the Dec. 19 sudden passing of Julian Kenney.
Julian was always a strong supporter of Interlakes organizations, especially Bridge Lake School, and his charm, presence and wholehearted efforts will be missed.
Sincere sympathy is extended to his wife, Linda, their family and many friends.
Controlled burn confusion
In mid-January, a startled Bridge Lake resident noticed a huge fire on Heritage Island.
Concerned, she called the Interlakes Volunteer Fire Department (IVFD) who came out to survey the situation.
In the meantime, the resident’s husband had called the RCMP because he thought “wild parties” were afoot.
The RCMP called back to inform them that it was a Cariboo Regional District (CRD) controlled burn.
Whilst happy that “things were under control,” the resident was amazed that the CRD had apparently not notified IVFD in advance.
Mountain Spruce Community Centre Events
New this season are Yoga classes at Mountain Spruce Community Centre Events (previously Sulphurous Firehall.) Prairie James will instruct every Tuesday morning from 9:30 to 11 a.m., for a drop-in fee of $10.
The Centre will also be holding free Darts & Games nights at 7 p.m. every last Friday of the month. Everyone is invited to bring their own beverage and snacks and come join the fun.
Birthday wishes go to Johann Miller, Alice Rickenbacher and Greta Rickenbacher.
Many congratulations to Eileen & Gordon Hutchinson on their 61st wedding anniversary, Feb. 4.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Crib, Deka Firehall: 7:30 p.m., Friday, Feb. 3.
• Highway 24/Interlakes Lions meet at 6:40 p.m., Monday, Feb. 4 at the Interlakes Community Centre (ICC).
• Annual General Meeting, for ICC Society and Roe Lake & District Recreation Commission: 7 p.m., Tuesday, Feb. 7 at the ICC.
• Call Barry Larson at 250-706-3877 to register your team for the Feb. 11/12 Snow Ball Tournament at ICC.
• Deka Ice-Fishing Derby, 7 a.m. to 2 p.m., Access #12, Saturday, Feb. 11
• Outhouse Races, Interlakes Corner, from 10 a.m., Sunday, Feb.12