Dozens of friends attended June 29’s Farewell Luncheon honouring Don and Marion Traill who are moving away after nigh on 40 years.
Marion is a founding member of Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department’s (DLDVFD) Ladies Auxiliary (LA), past president, chief quilter, and fire department dispatcher. In addition, she is past Head Fire Commissioner.
Don has been a DLDVFD mainstay since its inception in 1979, including doing the trucks’ mechanics.
As a souvenir, DLDVFD and its LA presented the much-loved couple with a beautifully framed photo of Deka Lake surmounted by sapphire sky and fluffy white clouds.
For DLDVFD’s fishing derby, weigh in at Access 12, 7 a.m.-dusk, Aug. 1; 7 a.m.-2 p.m., Aug. 2. Tickets are $10; $5 for children 12 and under. Deka Lake & District Ratepayers’ Association (DLDRA) caters breakfast both days at the fire hall; and supper from 2 p.m. on Sunday only. DLDRA is also hosting a Show ’n Shine on the Sunday.
The 25th Interlakes BCRA Rodeo goes Aug. 1-2 at Interlakes Rodeo Grounds. Gates open at 8 a.m. with a pancake breakfast, slack is at 9 a.m. Sunday, and the main events start 1 p.m. both days.
The Sulphurous/Hathaway fishing derby is on Aug. 2 only. Weigh-in 8 a.m.-2 p.m., McGregor’s Wharf, Sulphurous; or at Moosehaven Resort, Hathaway. Tickets cost $5, which includes a ticket on a pontoon boat raffle, in addition to many regular prizes.
Happy birthday wishes go to Carissa Ruscheinsky, Joe Dayman and Don Traill.
Congratulations on Barb and Ted Kerr’s 44th wedding anniversary; and Laurie and Gary Sayenchuk’s second.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Cariboo Regional District information meeting regarding the Aug. 29 referenda: 5-7pm, tonight (July 23) at Interlakes Community Centre (ICC).
• Social Cafe: Enjoy a boxed lunch ($5) on the Pioneer Heritage Trail, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m., July 27.
• DLDRA annual general meeting: 7 p.m,. July 28, Deka Fire Hall.
• Master gardeners, Fearon Blair and Elainer Sedgman, on “Bees, protecting our pollinators”: 7 p.m., July 29 at ICC.
• Call 250-593-4967 if you can help at the Interlakes Rodeo, Aug. 1-2, or help with grounds upkeep at ICC.