The Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department Fishing Derby is Aug. 4-5, with the weigh-in at McDonalds Access from 7 a.m. to dusk on Saturday, and from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday.
Tickets cost $10 and are available from any firefighter or at the weigh-in. Prizes are awarded to three places of rainbow, kokanee and lake trout. The largest lake trout also wins the Don & Marion Traill trophy.
Prizes will be handed out at the Deka Fire Hall after 3 p.m. on Sunday, as will the ticket draw for countless door prizes.
Deka Lake & District Ratepayers’ Association will cater breakfast at the fire hall from 8 to 10:30 a.m. both days, and supper on Sunday only from 2 to 7 p.m. The refreshment garden, pop stand and children’s games also open at 2 p.m. on Sunday.
Sulphurous Lake District Volunteer Firefighters Association fishing derby is on Aug. 5 only, and tickets cost $3.
Weigh in at either McGregors opposite Sulphurous’ Fire Hall, or at Hathaway’s Moosehaven Resort. Prizes are awarded for kokanee, rainbow, and lake trout, but note the lakers are catch-and-release only at Hathaway. A special pikeminnow category is available for children.
All tickets are entered in the door prize draw, which includes a patio fountain.
The kitchen will be open for lunch and snacks.
The 22nd Annual Interlakes Rodeo is Aug. 4-5 at Interlakes Rodeo Grounds on East Sheridan Lake Road, off Highway 24.
A pancake breakfast starts at 8 a.m. and the slack (extra events) is at 9 a.m. Sunday only, and the main events start at 1 p.m. both days. The West Coast Thunder Drill Team will also perform.
2011 South Cariboo Idol contestant Alicia Williamson of Bridge Lake will sing the national anthem, and Carolyn Cook, the B.C. High School Rodeo Southern Ambassador will lead the entries. After the Cowboy Prayer, while a rider-less horse circles the arena, a moment of silence will honour Danny Lytton, longtime chair of this rodeo, who passed away June 17.
Admission is $10 for adults; $5 for seniors and children aged six to 12. Children aged five and under are admitted free.
Local entries will be accepted from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. July 20 only by calling Pat Lytton at 250-593-4447.
Champagne and caviar go to Ethel Good on her 89th birthday on July 20, and to Charlie Faessler for his 88th on July 22.
Birthday bubbly also goes to Joyce McManus and Kevin Scherrer. On July 19, congratulations go to Mary and Albert Phillips who celebrate 71 years of wedded bliss, while Glynis and Joe Dayman celebrate 43.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Family Bingo every Wednesday at Deka Fire Hall. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. and a play starts at 7 p.m. The Super G is currently $698.
• Friends of Bridge Lake’s speaker Pat Spencer discusses woodstoves at the Bridge Lake School, July 18, 7 p.m. All are welcome.
• Crib, Deka Fire Hall, July 20 at 7:30 p.m.
• Roe Lake & District Recreation Commission meets 7 p.m. July 25 at Interlakes Hall, followed by an Interlakes Community Association meeting at 7:30 p.m.
• To register children for Bridge Lake Community School’s Eureka Science, July 23-27, or Playdays, Aug. 7-10, call 250-593-4538.
• To register for the free Kids Space Vacation, July 30 to Aug. 2, call Elaine Adams at 250-593-2303.