Ticket sales went very well and more than 80 friends dined on roast beef and Yorkshire pudding at Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department (DL&DVFD) Ladies Auxiliary’s (LA) Oct. 26 annual Fall Dinner – and there were still six people left on the waiting list.
After dinner and sumptuous desserts provided by LA members, the annual raffle was drawn; all prizes were provided by the LA members.
The quilt went to Marilyn Rorison of Surrey; trolling motor, Doug Clark; 21-foot multifunctional ladder, Bill Walters, Deka; afghan, Frankie and Sue Juhan, Lower Mainland; first aid kit and smoke alarms, L. Rafter, Chilliwack; 14-foot emergency escape ladder, Ellen Blight, Langley; and cordless screwdriver, Gary Keay.
LA president Lorna Wiebe drew for the door prizes, with the assistance of local firefighters’ children – Brayden Boyce, Emma West and Owen West. The lucky winners were firefighters Jake Knudsen and Dan Wiebe.
For the first time, the evening continued with a dance into the wee hours. The LA is most grateful to the public for the terrific support.
Fire hall upgrades
The DL&DVFD Fire Hall is being brought up to code, with beautiful new windows installed by Keith Fleing of U-Build Construction, and shiny new environmentally friendly fuel tanks – yellow for diesel, red for gas – on concrete pads.
Roe Lake & District Recreation Commission is delighted to have received another grant.
This time it’s for $5,000 from the Farm Credit Canada Agri-Spirit Fund, specifically to help complete the Interlakes Hall kitchen.
On Nov. 9, we congratulate Marallyn and Morris Oerlemans on 57 years of wedded bliss, and Jim Wishart on another birthday.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Bridge Lake Community School meets 7 p.m. tonight (Nov. 6).
• Crib, Deka Fire Hall, 7:30 p.m., Nov. 8.
• Interlakes Snowmobile Club meets 6 p.m., Nov. 13, downstairs at Wildmans Family Dining & Lounge. At 7 p.m., they move upstairs for a meet-and-greet, and everyone is welcome.
• Call 250-593-0025 to reserve your $20 table at the Nov. 17 Roe Lake Christmas Bazaar.
• Get your $10 dinner auction tickets from Bridge Lake School, Bridge Lake Store, or the Country Pedlar soon. Seating is limited for the Nov. 22 event.