By Diana Forster
Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department Ladies Auxiliary (LA) welcomed a new member, Lorelei Jones, from Sulphurous, to their Jan. 4 meeting.
The Welcome Wagon committee reported that they had visited 14 new residents during 2016, three of whom were at Sulphurous.
Erica Lechner was thanked for volunteering that she and her partner, firefighter Dave Gardner, would take over putting up bingo signage during 2017. The signs are quite heavy and need a “young” strong person.
The LA’s next meeting is 10:30 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 1.
The New Year started off very nicely for the writer’s husband, Montana.
First, he was 80¢ short at Save-On and when he said he’d go back to the car to get it, a gentleman behind him said, “Never mind, here’s a dollar and keep the change.”
Immediately thereafter, he headed to Tim Hortons for a coffee and, when he went to pay for it, the staff member said, “Oh, no sir, the lady in front of you paid for yours too.”
Note that Interlakes Community Centre’s (ICC) Coffee Chat will be at 10 a.m., Jan. 30, with speaker Cambria Volonte of Gaia Acres Yoga & Fitness.
Call the writer for contact numbers
• Knotty Ladies Appliqué Group meets 12:30 p.m. to 3 p.m., Monday, Jan. 16. Call 250-593-4070 for the venue.
• Highway 24/Interlakes Lions meet 6:30 p.m., Monday, Jan. 16 at ICC.
• Log Cabin Quilters meet 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Wednesday, Jan. 18 at ICC
• Movie & Popcorn at ICC, 1 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 21. Showing PG-rated “The Replacements” with Gene Hackman and Keanu Reeves.
• Call Barry Larson at 250-706-3877 to register your team for the Feb. 11/12 Snow Ball Tournament at ICC.