Henry Burdeyney reeled in the big one, a 23 lb. 4 oz. lake trout, at Deka Lake & District Volunteer Fire Department’s 31st Annual Fishing Derby on Aug. 3.
Henry was thrilled to win not only first laker prize, but also the Don and Marion Traill Trophy for largest lake trout.
But, then there was the one that “got away.” Well, it didn’t actually get away, but it did arrive eight minutes too late for official weigh-in.
Staff weighed it anyway for the fisher’s benefit and it turned out to be half a pound heavier than Henry’s. The fisher, Larry Holcroft of Langley, took it all in stride, noting he had a picture of it anyway and it made a great fish tale!
Sandy Amy, a director of Deka Lake & District Ratepayers’ Association, has agreed to represent his association on the Interlakes Economic Association’s board, for which he is much appreciated.
Bridge Lake Community School Society (BLCCS) is holding a public meeting at Interlakes Hall on Sept. 4 at 7 p.m.
The purpose of the meeting is to attract new volunteers. Those who have been involved for well over 10 years are wearing out and new blood is needed.
Anyone who is interested in maintaining the status of BLCCS should attend this very important meeting.
Birthday bubbly goes to Colleen Law, Marion Traill, Gus Collins and Robbie Stewart. Wedding anniversary congratulations are sent for Elaine and Bill Adams’ 41st, and for Sandy and Jaime Laws’ 13th.
Call the writer for contact numbers.
• Bridge Lake Community School’s meeting today (Aug. 20) has been cancelled.
• Interlakes Economic Association inaugural general meeting: at Interlakes Hall today (Aug. 20) at 7 p.m.
• Interlakes Volunteer Fire Department annual general meeting: at Interlakes Hall on Aug. 21 at 7 p.m. The raffle will be drawn.
• Show ’n Shine for cars and motorcycles at Interlakes Service Centre, Aug. 24 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Competitors should register at V-Squared, and arrive at 9 a.m.
• Last family bingo at Deka Fire Hall until Christmas is on Aug. 27. Doors open at 6:15 p.m. and play starts at 7.
• Memorial for Andy Nixdorf will be held at Deka Fire Hall on Aug. 30 from 1 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Huge sale at the Sulphurous Fire Hall on Pettyjohn Road, Aug. 30 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.