This year, 70 Mile House will be 150 years old.
The original 70 Mile House was built in 1862 by G.B. Wright and J.C. Calbreath. Over the years, it served as a stopping point for gold prospectors, a telegraph office, post office and bus stop.
The building was destroyed by fire in 1956.
Once again Earth Day will be celebrated on April 22.
Several communities are using this day to begin spring cleaning, particularly clearing roadways of trash accumulated over winter. In Clinton, two organizations will be working on Highway 97 and Kelly Lake Road.
The next 70 Mile House Volunteer Fire Department bingo will be held April 26 at the Seventy Mile Access Centre (SMAC).
Doors open at 6:15 p.m. and play starts at 7. For information, call Vic at 250-456-2321.
SMAC has received a large supply of logs for the outdoor heater during the last several years.
The logs were cut to usable lengths, but there are piles of short pieces left over. This wood is available to people in need free of charge, but must be picked up on site.
For more information, call Rose at 250-456-7316 or Lynne at 250-456-2466.